Friday, May 21, 2010

Is it Awkward for a 13 yr old to Take Beginner Karate Lessons?

I know someone in that situation and they asked me what I thought. I had some trouble, too so I thought I would put it here. What do you think?|||No it isn%26#039;t, or shouldn%26#039;t be. The instructor knows you are a beginner as well as the other students. They will help you improve your art. Don%26#039;t worry, everyone starts out with bad form. You will get better


Good Luck|||That age is an awkward age for many and so that along with the approach that the instructor takes can sometimes make it more difficult. That is especially true if the person was not very athletic as a child and never participated in any organized sports or activities. Those types of students are growing fast and sometimes temporarily outgrow what little flexibility, balance, and cordination that they had. This coupled with being in a class in what some feel are jammies, not being able to do anything particularly well, lost and not knowing how to do the things that the rest of the class is doing can be very frustrating and awkward. For this reason I always start students off in a mini class first so that they are with other beginners just starting out. I also explain to them it is like learning how to walk or ride a bike and that they probably fell a few times when they first tried to do that. With time, effort on their part, and practice they will be able to eventually do it. That coupled with them being in their own group to start with usually is sufficient in helping them transition into being comfortable and able to focus and concentrate better and put in better effort. At the same time when they start in regular class all my novice students (White-Orange) know and are encouraged to display the proper attitude towards them and encourage them to keep trying, keep working, and eventually they will be able to do it. That is probably the best thing you can do for such a student rather than laugh at, or belittle their lack of skill and ability. A student who is just starting out is very fragile and a word of encouragement here and a little praise there can make a student just as a negative reaction or inconsiderate comment can break a student and cause them to quit. Everyone was a beginner once-even old black-belts like me.|||It%26#039;s a great time to get the kid involved.It will teach them discipline,focus,self defense, and confidence.Also,it will take them off the streets avoiding idle time.And a whole lot better than t.v and video games.|||yes. try talking it in private|||No I started at 12 and I%26#039;m 16 now and still loving it. It%26#039;d be a lot more awkward for a 40 year old lacking all flexibility to do anything... it%26#039;ll always be a bit weird in the beginning, but it%26#039;ll turn out good. =)|||I think its a great time, Im sure there will be plenty of kids your age there which should make it not so aukward, and it%26#039;s a good place to make good lasting friendships,|||well our school has a kids class (4-12) and then once your a teenager you move up to the adult class. And hey even if you had to be with kids you are bigger and stronger (hopefuly) and you can have %26quot;fun%26quot; with them your way if they piss you off. Thats what i do when i go and help teach at the kids class.





Once, when our dojo was at a healthclub because i am petite the manger at the club put me in beginning class ( hey i saved $20) I paid the beginners fee and went to advanced instead.|||Life is awkward.


The sooner a person gets on a path of discipline, honor, and respect, the better.|||not really but a lot of the kids in your class will probably be a lot younger than you. like 7 or 8. i started at 7.|||13 is a good age to start. You will have better concentration and better understanding than 6 - 8 year old kids.





Good luck!|||Hahaha, NO. Try taking Aikido classes with a bunch of seven year olds, and being beaten. I can tell you that it isn%26#039;t very pleasant.|||It isn%26#039;t awkward to study karate if you are a 13 year old. When I was 13, I studied karate by the use of books, internet (Like youtube). My parents forbid me to study in a karate school, so I have to study it on my own. The reason why I studied karate is to learn self defense. I decided to learn Jeet Kune Do instead because it offers Self Defense Techniques and combat moves. About your question my reason is that anyone can learn karate regardless of his/her age. I have seen Karatekas that are not yet 13 and are learning karate.

No comments:

Post a Comment