Monday, November 16, 2009

Is it discrimination to convince his karate student to choose another Kata based on body type/built?

I felt it was discriminatory for the karate teacher to advice or convince his karate student to choose another Kata based on body built. (best suits person%26#039;s body built) This %26quot;teacher%26quot; also mentioned that the best way to pick a karate teacher is to find a teacher that has your own body built. I argued that it was wrong and karate is for everyone!|||%26quot;Discrimination%26quot; has a negative connotation for some very sound reasons, but if the student has some physical disability that would cause him/her to get injured by performing certain movements, it is valid. Otherwise:





There actually are certain methods that are better suited for specific body types. For instance, I am average height but built rather stocky. While I began my training in Korean systems such as TKD and Hap Ki Do where many kicks were the norm and even emphasized, I have dedicated the last decade of my life to training in southern methods of Chinese Boxing. In southern China, many people have physiques similar to mine.





Does this mean I wasn%26#039;t proficient in my time with the Korean systems? Certainly not! I practiced hard and trained five days a week for several hours at a time (I began in adolescence, so I actually had free time). The only difference is that my current discipline comes to me much more naturally.





I agree with your belief though that martial arts should be for everyone. What your husband did was merely to inform the student that certain tactics may come more easily than others based on body type. This is true. Ultimately, though, it is the student%26#039;s choice as to what he/she learns, with your husband%26#039;s only options to either teach the student, expel the student, or refusing to teach causing the student to quit. I find the last two options fairly discriminatory.





I do not necessarily agree that one should absolutely find a teacher with a similar build, though; a qualified teacher would recognize what would likely work best for specific body types regardless of his or her own build.|||It has been shown and proven the OKINAWAN masters taught different kata to different people based on ability and body type .There are %26quot;big man kata%26quot; suited to heavier types and %26quot;general kata%26quot; which are suited to most builds even kata to improve agility so I dont think he was being discriminatory and may be actually more on the ball than a lot of sensei.





As for finding a sensei that suits your build ?


Well what if you are 6ft 6in skinny as a reed or 5ft 4in and built like a sumo wrestler?You are going to have a hard time finding a sensei.Adapt the art to you not you to the art.|||Actually, I once read a story about a kung fu master, which relates to your question.


It started with a rather portly man named Chan, who learned his kung fu from the family lineage of a master named Mr. Jan and his son (who were both of a slim/athletic build). Later, master Chan taught his skill to a slender young man, who went on to become a master himself. Years later the young man was challenged to a friendly match of skill by an older gentleman, and was squarely beaten . Afterward, he found out that the older gentleman was in fact Mr. Jan%26#039;s son. So, naturally the young man took the opportunity to learn as much as he could from him, over the next few years. Although his skills were enhanced and he gained greater understanding, there was one bit of insight mentioned that really stuck out. And that was that because master Chan was such a large man, what he taught the young man was substantially different from what Mr. Jan had taught. The reason being, the version master Chan was teaching, was adapted to fit his body type. Learning under Mr. Jan%26#039;s son, the young man was able to make the proper adjustments to his movements/techniques, and became very good. Who was this young man? Bruce Lee%26#039;s teacher, Yip Man.|||na.. if he cant do the physical stuff then karate just aint for him..|||No. Not to a logical person.|||there is no best art, only best artists. the quality and frequency of the training will far outweigh the style being trained in.


find a good school, not a good style.


check out all the schools in your area, take free classes.


ask to see their contact drills.


never sign a contract. never pay for rank testing.


look for a clean school with respectable people





it is true that certain karate katas were assigned certain body types but the ancients also only learned a handful of kata and mastered them completly, but a good student will take what they learn and make it theirs.|||I know little to nothing about karate but it makes sense to me. I would rather train with someone that was my approximate height and weight.


It would only be discriminatory if he says this to say, overweight kids but not short kids- or black kids but not white kids- as long as he says the same thing to everyone, it%26#039;s not discrimination.|||he should teach all Kata and be able to teach them to fit all body types|||I don%26#039;t think so, if he advised him/her I would think that he was trying to help, the teacher is the one with the years of expertise so I would think that he/she knows best. and as long as he did not tell the student that he/she had to I don%26#039;t see a problem.|||In my style, we don%26#039;t have a choice in kata. There are certain kata that are required for certain ranks. I have 22 at last count. If you can%26#039;t do a kata because of body type, then you are limited as a martial artist. Easy karate gets people hurt. You have to work through the difficulties to achieve proficiency.|||No a person should pick a style or Kata based on their interest. I practice different styles of arts and Katas (forms) I do what I love artistically|||The instructor is correct. Many times people don%26#039;t understand that what works well for you may not work that well for me. HOWEVER if I%26#039;m short and stocky and my instructor is short and stocky then the likelihood of his techniques working for me are greater than if my instructor is tall and lanky. Why? because different strategys are needed for different body types. My arms are short, I need to get closer just to punch. I have to %26quot;get in%26quot;. An individual with longer arms won%26#039;t have to do this as much. Your instructor is wise indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment