Saturday, November 14, 2009

How long did it take you all to get a yellow belt in Karate? Orange belt? How long does it usually take?

How long did it take you all to get a yellow belt in Karate? Orange belt? The belt after that? How long does it usually take? Just specify your type of karate in your answer?|||I began training on May 22, 1978 at the age of 7. The next youngest to me was aged 13. I started in Goju Ryu.





It took one year to yellow belt. Three years after that I got my green belt. Brown belt was two years after my green and I was the first person under the age of 18 to test for shodan (I was 17) in my dojo at the time. It took a total of 9 years before I was even ready to test for shodan with two days a week and three hour long classes. As I became a teen I attended more classes and competed as my Sensei requested. I began teaching the kids class as a brown belt and helped teach for my sensei until I reached Sandan (3rd degree) when I was given permission and licensed to teach on my own. I have taught on my own since December 1, 1992 and still train every day.|||In a serious dojo, it takes as long as it takes for you to become skilled enough to earn one. There is no time frame - it depends on how hard you work and how dedicated you are.





However, I%26#039;ll offer you this piece of advice that was given to me.





Belts are good for holding your pants up - better for that than exemplifying how skilled one is.





There are white belts around the world the can completely control one ranked several belts above them - there are those who wear no belts and are more skilled than a black belt. And if black belt is your goal - understand this -





It%26#039;s not the end, it%26#039;s only exemplifying of your adeptness with the most basic skills of your art. It means simply that you%26#039;re now ready to begin your real training, not that you%26#039;re finished with it.|||To get a belt takes 2-4 weeks unless you get expedited shipping. They cost about $15 bucks at most on-line catalogs.





Now if you want to earn your belt, that%26#039;s a different story. The long and short answer are %26quot;it depends.%26quot; It depends on the belt structure at your school. The more belts, typically the faster they come. How good are you, not just talent, but attitude? How often do you train? How seriously do you take it? How often does your instructor conduct testing?





In the end, you shouldn%26#039;t worry about how long it takes to get a certain belt. Just try to learn and enjoy yourself doing it every day. Belts will come when they should.|||My place it just took one year then we%26#039;d do something at the end. But yea mostly a year. It probably changes when you get to purple brown and black but before that i%26#039;d say a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment