Monday, November 16, 2009

I have mild arthritis in my hip should I continue with Karate?

I enjoy Karate, I%26#039;ve only been going one month ( twice a week) but since going I now have hip pain which makes it painful to sit for long periods of time and when I get up from sitting I can just about move. I thought exercise was suppose to be good for you.|||Exercise is one of the most important things you can do when you have arthritis. Inactivity only makes arthritis pain worse.





Some times when starting a new exercise program like karate that uses muscles and joints in ways they are not use to can cause pain in areas like your hip joints. This should improve over time.





Also are you exercising other than your karate lessons. Exercising only twice a week can add to your problem. If you have a public pool near you warm water exercise might help you a lot. It allows you to strengthen the supporting muscles in your hip area that are not used in karate. It also does it in a way that does not put pressure or impact to hip joints. Just walking laps around the shallow end of the pool should help alot.





You should talk to your doctor about your pain to make sure that there is not some thing new going on or that the arthritis is not getting worse.





You can also try taking a omega 3 fatty acid or tumeric supplement. These are inexpensive and both have been shown in medical studies to be as effective at controlling inflammation as well as anti-inflammatories such as Advil.





I wish you well





Rusty


Editor


http://arthritis-symptom.com/|||You might want to talk to your doctor first.|||Ok I have arthrtis, Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue and I did Martial Arts for quite a few years. At first it hurts like heck as you are building up your muscles and working out those muscles that aren%26#039;t used to it. They often say to take a short break or not to go so often at first and then slowly build yourself up. I only went once a week and even had a few times that my Sensei told me to rest and take a week in between off to allow my muscles to get some reprieve. Overtime you will notice the pain being less and less. Exercise, but not too strenious is the best thing you can do for your arthritis. Keep it up, but if you notice too much pain stop and don%26#039;t resume until it has calmed down.

No comments:

Post a Comment