Monday, November 16, 2009

How should I torture the little kids in my karate class?

i help teach a kids karate class and i am starting to get pissed with the kids they just won%26#039;t leave me alone- how can i make them pay





i was thinking in warmups they could do suicides or line drills


could hold plank position


hold stradle stance for 5 minutes and 50 pushups if they don%26#039;t go low enough or colapse.





the kids are 7+





only rule kids can%26#039;t cry or bleed





any help?|||At 16, YOU are a kid.


Either find something else to do instead of torturing other children or learn some patience.|||Sorry to say but you got yourself into this situation. Now here is the reality of it. If you keep a good reputation you will be known for that. However, once you tarnish your reputation, there will always be people around that will remember what you did wrong. You never will recover from that mistake in the eyes of others that remember it.





Now you speak of revenge. That shows a lack of maturity. Seems that you have lost the respect of the kids. You really don%26#039;t have any business teaching them. If you can%26#039;t keep yourself under control how can you ever hope to keep the kids in line. Abusing them to get back at them will only prove that you failed.





Sure kids are a royal pain to teach if they are really young. But you must realize your limitations and have realistic expectations of what anyone cane achieve teaching a kids class. Kids are there to play karate and goof off. If you try to turn them into serious martial artists, you are wasting your time.





Sorry to be so blunt, but that is what is going on here.|||Seems to harsh for that little. Try and think of something that think would be fun, but turns out to be killer! One of my favorites is like a game of tag, where one person or two or three people try to catch one person. If anyone stops running, they have to do pushups. If the person gets caught, they have to do pushups. If you don%26#039;t catch the person, you have to do pushups. If you make each round about 2 minutes, it gets pretty tiring. Of course, if you have a large group, it could take to long, and then there are people just sitting around, so it wouldnt work very well for a large group.





By the way, what style of karate? I think I know what you mean by stradle stance,but I%26#039;ve never heard it called that. Always kiba dache or iron horse.|||this does not deserve an answer.





a 7 yr old cant do 50 pushups. punishment is only effective if it is possible for them to carry it out


rather then torture them you need to take some of the energy out of them.


and be more of leader for them, not some one that torture children.


if they are not listening to you its because they do not respect you.


you need to gain there respect and regain control of your class





edit:%26gt; you are missing the point, you dont have the respect of your class, if they dont respect you they wont listen to you. punishing them will not help them to respect you,|||You do not deserve to be any rank of instructor with you attitude. If you can%26#039;t discipline the class and teach them correctly then you have no business, and neither did your instructor, at being there to teach them. I recommend you get out while you can until you grow some maturity.





Edit - your profile says that you want to be a 4th grade teacher!?! You can%26#039;t even handle a simple karate class. Honestly your statements make me have to question if your instructor is even any good since she has put you in a position that you are definitely not qualified for.|||man i wish you were in Karate class


we would make a good drill instruction team





well what i would do is make them be active for lets say 5 minutes





run, jump over obstacles, run in place, jumping jax, dips, knees ups, crunches, sits up with medicine balls, suicides, and most definitely push ups! i love doing those.





make them sweat like Marines!|||They%26#039;re kids. It%26#039;s their job to get under your skin. It%26#039;s your job to not allow it to happen. Judging by your statements, I%26#039;d say they succeeded. Your reaction is exactly what they%26#039;re looking for.





Maybe you should take a sabbatical from the kids for awhile.





As far as the e-mails go, you can get a cheap shareware program called mailwasher that will kick back their messages and make it look to them like your mailbox doesn%26#039;t exist.|||Little kids can be annoying, but you should just learn to ignore it. Try to not give out your email, and now that it is public knowledge you should get a new one. Instead of publishing it, give it only to your friends. Have 2, a public email and a personal email. THis will save you a lot of frustration!





I know|||You want to %26quot;torture%26quot; kids in a Karate class that are only 7 and older?





What the hell is wrong with you. I hope those little kids have older sisters that could beat your sorry ***.





You can%26#039;t handle the job, you should quit.





Lame b****.|||Maybe you should talk to the Sensei,ask not to have to teach the kids right now,admit you are not ready for that yet.Not to be mean;you need to learn how to spell and work on your grammar.|||I suggest that you show them that you can keep your head in a bucket of water for 10 minutes.





you do not need to instructing anyone. you lack maturity , discipline, and patience.





you should be ashamed.|||make them do crunches and hold them half way up and have a contest to see who can go closest to the splits both of these things use to piss me off when i was in tae kwon do at age 9|||yeah I agree with all these guys. You%26#039;re the kid. you shouldn%26#039;t let them get to you THEY%26#039;RE ONLY KIDS...!





%26quot;make them pay%26quot;? rofl...if you dont want to do the job then dont.|||why are you teaching little kids if you%26#039;re impatient and you can%26#039;t handle them?





if you torture them you%26#039;re just going to end up losing business.|||I hope you get kicked out of class, you are a disgrace of an assistant.|||I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt here. In this %26quot;internet land%26quot; we tend to embelish. In your case, wanting to %26quot;torture%26quot; the little kids in your class is merely your %26quot;inner troll%26quot; coming-out. That%26#039;s ok, because I do it too; making some outrageous statements that are beyond what I would normally say, just to see the reactions I get.





So...a few notes here. First off, at age 16, you are a little kid to me. And, you are allowed to be slightly immature. Adulthood does not officially start until age 18, and our society will not allow you to consume alcohol or buy a handgun until age 21. So, you%26#039;re off the hook - for now.





As far as teaching 7 year olds. That%26#039;s probably not your fault. When I took Tae Kwon Do lessons, the minimum age was 10. And, back in the days when I took lesson, the AVERAGE AGE in my class was 25. So, I can%26#039;t point the finger at you and say you are irresponsible. It sounds to me like the owner(s) of your dojo are running a high priced day care center.





PugPaws makes a good point. People will quickly judge you by your reputation. If you are a %26quot;serious instructor%26quot;, both young and old will know you that way. If you tend to be %26quot;laid back%26quot; and take it easy, people will know you as that as well.





Times have changed. I don%26#039;t want to %26quot;geeze%26quot; too much here. But back when I started taking martial arts lessons, at age 14, my parents had already taught me to have total respect for adults and people my own age with superior skills. This is why I say that integrity is the most important trait that an instructor must posses. I would have done pretty nearly anything the black belts asked of me. That%26#039;s how much trust I placed in them. I am not sure that %26quot;children%26quot; these days are learning that same level of discipline from their mothers and fathers that want to be %26quot;their buddies%26quot; instead of good parents. I feel for ya!





And finally (wow, this is really getting to be a %26quot;rant%26quot; on my part). Don%26#039;t try to be the %26quot;fun%26quot; teacher. When I took TKD, it was not about having fun. For me, I wanted to learn how to protect myself in a sometimes violent world. The words %26quot;martial arts%26quot; and %26quot;fun%26quot; are not stored in the same parts of my brain. The word %26quot;martial%26quot; generally refers to warfare. There%26#039;s no fun in war. If you look at my profile, my expert opinions are in the areas of hunting (or more specifically, firearms). I never have %26quot;fun%26quot; when I am using a firearm. Handling a loaded gun is a serious matter. Teaching others to %26quot;become weapons%26quot; is another serious matter. Again, it%26#039;s not your fault. Any dojo that enrolls children as young as 7 years of age is not doing the public any favors. I just hope you can open your mind and dwell on the advice given here (good or bad) and think about how you fit into the grand scheme of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment