Friday, November 18, 2011

How will my experience in Shotokan (brown belt) help me if I want to start practicing Kyokushin karate?

I%26#039;m 14 years old and I%26#039;ve been practicing Shotokan karate since I was 7. I got my brown belt last year, and I was thinking of taking up Kyokushin later this year.





I don%26#039;t mind starting from A-Z in Kyokushin but how will my experience in Shotokan help me in Kyokushin?|||don%26#039;t worry about it.


kyokushin came from a combination of shotokan and goju.


your stance will be a little shorter. and the kata%26#039;s a little different. you will adapt to it fairly quickly. the terminology you learned will be the same and the kata names are the okinawa names.


the basics techniques are very close there may be some minor things nothing to critical.


you should move back up to brown belt level relatively quickly, they may even evaluate you to see where you fit in. this part is up to the instructor, every instructor treats this differently|||Yes it will, any martial art is good for studying another, but Shotokan and Kyokushin go hand in hand.


They are very close, many techniques are the same, or differ very slightly. You are also going to be used to how they do things in traditional Japanese dojos.


You already have a core (in Shotokan), so you know how to fight well. Putting what you know as your core into another art is very beneficial.


Good luck.|||Kyokushin actually has it root from Shotokan karate.





Gichin Funakoshi (founder of Shotokan) is a dear teacher to Mas Oyama (Founder of Kyokushin), and Oyama called Funakoshi as his true Karate teacher. So basically Oyama%26#039;s basic training was in Shotokan.


Sadly though while history said that, modern day karate is tainted by numerous McDojo springing everywhere, and a lot targeted Shotokan as they were very popular.





Real Kyokushin dojo will focus a lot in their full body contact kumite (especially if you talk about brown belt), if your Shotokan base has the same type of sparring/kumite then you will thrive.


I think you will at least benefit from the kata training you got from shotokan as the katas have a lot of similarities.





In any case, I hope you join the kyokushin (and a good dojo too at that as I heard that a lot of McDojo are claiming themselves to be kyokushin too)





Osu...|||It will help you alot. A front kick in shotokan is the same as a front kick in Kyokushin. Same with many other techniques.





The terminology will also be the same.





Not to mention the conditioning and flexibility you already have.





James|||Yes, having a back ground in any striking martial art will help you in another one. Most martial arts have more in common than aspects that separate them





more stuff


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;...





Kyokoshin has a back ground in shotokan so I think they will be great compliments to each other

No comments:

Post a Comment